STEVIA is it safe?

Do you have something to say that isn't related to any of the forum topics? If so, this is the place to make your post!
LindahThe
Caterpillar

STEVIA is it safe?

Post by LindahThe » Nov 12th, 10:33

I just read this article about STEVIA is it safe or not?

Stevia

What is it: Extract from the stevia plant.

How it's used: Dietary supplement and tabletop sweetener.

Advantages: Natural sweetener.

Drawbacks: Stevia has not been approved as a food additive or an ingredient that is generally recognized as safe. Purified extracts from the sweet components of the stevia leaf, which are considered different from stevia itself or from crude extracts of the plant, are up for FDA review now. Truvia, a Cargill tabletop sweetener made from the purified stevia glycoside rebaudioside A, is on the market pending an FDA review of the company's claim that scientists generally recognize it as safe when used as intended in food.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/featu ... nrn_111108
tris
Butterfly

Post by tris » Jan 28th, 00:22

When the FDA say "safe" they really mean "safe to poison the entire planet for the sake of profits".

Keep in mind that stevia has been used for thousands of years as a food - its use being dated back to ancient times in the days when people knew what they were doing.
It's your health, are you eating the best alkaline foods? Acid Alkaline Food Chart
Hereiam!
Caterpillar

Post by Hereiam! » Mar 24th, 16:20

I wonder if anyone has studied whether xylitol is safe like stevia?
It supposedly comes from the birch tree and helps with dental caries.. but I don't know if it's actually save like stevia. I read they used it in world war two with soldiers and it cut down on cavities (?) .. and, that it is safe for diabetics. I know I eat it in my chewing gum, and it is grainy like sugar.. but I haven't used it since I started trying to eat alkaline because I have no idea if it is truly healthy as they say or if it turns acid in digestion. ...
kburns
Egg

Post by kburns » Mar 24th, 23:23

Stevia has a horrid taste. Yeech.

Xlitol is an alcohol based sugar. Not everyone can tolerate alcohol based foods. I can't tolerate maltitol and sorbitol. Haven't tried xlitol.
Hereiam!
Caterpillar

Post by Hereiam! » Mar 25th, 05:25

Oh, I always wondered about xylitol! It's terribly delicious, and I've only heard good things about it, but haven't heard it dissected like they do other sweeteners to know if it's realllllly that good for you or if some of it's hype. ...I have a feeling it's nothing like, you know, splenda or the pink stuff... supposedly it's good for blood sugar levels, but I wish I could find more true literature on it.... I will say, it's 9 cal's per packet (tsp?) vs. sugar's 16 cal's per. And oh my, is it tasty.
Hereiam!
Caterpillar

Post by Hereiam! » Mar 25th, 16:53

and that's worth a lot! ... I am starting to experience that, I've stopped drinking any sodas at all, whatsoever, real or diet, for the past few weeks, because I read that it takes dozens of glasses of pure water to neutralize the acid in one soda. ... and, I switched to water and plain, black, tea, no sweetener... I had an organic gala apple yesterday and I could almost not handle the sweetness!, but maybe it was the tartness (?)
...but now the tea itself is decreasing... and I think I"m starting to change! As a lifestyle! I've been hoping for transformation.. real change... not just a diet.. and it's happening, I think, finally... finally. sigh!
Hereiam!
Caterpillar

Post by Hereiam! » Mar 26th, 11:08

Green water! This is a fun new step concept for me.. which is probably alkalizing 101, but I haven't yet 'gone there', though I'm intrigued. From whence do you order your "green"? I think, well, can I measure up a half-gallon at a time, or does it need to be made fresh before drinking...?
;P) :idea:
Br.Ho80
Egg

Post by Br.Ho80 » May 25th, 11:23

I recently heard the first time about Stevia and I think I will definitely give it a try. I think that I will need more information about Stevia before I will use it the first time and due to this I will do a little internet research in order to learn more about this. I am excited about how it will taste. Hopefully it is a good taste. :?
DianaWalker
Caterpillar

Post by DianaWalker » Jul 31st, 22:59

I've been using Sunrider liquid Stevia (called SunnyDew in the USA) for 12 years - and love it!

http://www.diana2.com/stevia_health_benefits.html

(I'm #1 in Yahoo for "Stevia Health Benefits) - see link above.

I have tried other liquid stevias from the health food store - but we have to be careful that they are not mixed in alcohol. Also, I have never used the Stevia that is white and powdered, because to me that is so processed and so far from being close to nature and the plant, that it is not a good thing to use.

Some Stevia has a bitter aftertaste - but the Sunrider Stevia that I use is delicious.

It certainly helps with blood sugar levels - and definitely reduces cravings for unhealthy sweets.

Diana
"Health isn't everything, but everything is nothing without health"
DianaWalker
Caterpillar

Post by DianaWalker » Dec 16th, 22:12

wehell20 --- Thanks, glad you enjoyed my article!
Have a Healthy day!
Diana
"Health isn't everything, but everything is nothing without health"
lina
Egg

Post by lina » Sep 16th, 18:45

It is absolutely safe. It has been used for centuries - just not in the US due to sugar industry not liking competition. I have used it for years and even grow it in my greenhouse. Sometimes I will go and snip off a few leaves and eat them plain - delicious. (As long as you snip off the tips when they start to flower, they will grow indefinitely). And it cures my desire for sweet things. Just make sure you purchase pure stevia with no additives.
bluebird5
Egg

Re: STEVIA is it safe?

Post by bluebird5 » Feb 1st, 11:41

I don't know if it's actually save like stevia. I read they used it in world war two with soldiers and it cut down on cavities (?) .. and, that it is safe for diabetics.
Smile PleazZZZzzzZZZzzzz
jaedon
Caterpillar

Re: STEVIA is it safe?

Post by jaedon » Feb 13th, 04:57

Well, I guess it is safe if FDA approves it.
Henrythile
Caterpillar

STEVIA is it safe

Post by Henrythile » Mar 13th, 11:20

Thanks Archana for reply.
Is there any other place which I can consider in the budget which I have.how much time will it to commute from south to d24?