Alkaline food on a long hike or trek

Training, advice, tips, guidance, experience and inspiration.
armgud
Egg

Alkaline food on a long hike or trek

Post by armgud » May 26th, 11:11

I have recently started to include more and more alkaline food into my daily meals.
My hobby is hiking and trekking and I have been wondering what is good to take on a hike.

What people usually do is take lots of sugary foods with them. Like sports drinks and candy. That can lead to heartburn's and other unpleasant problems.

What I have been doing is putting baking soda and lime into my camelback and keeping my energy up with carrots, broccoli ,cucumber, figs and almonds.

Now I'm going on the longest hike I have been to since I've started the diet.
The hike is over a huge glacier and is about 12 - 16 hours.

Do you people have some suggestions on high energy low acidic or alkaline food that I could bring on the hike?

Also I want to take with me some hot tea, any suggestions there ?

Armann
Mavy
Egg

Post by Mavy » Jul 26th, 16:38

Hi Armgud. This is a little late, but I just joined here. I also do hikes extended hikes too, up here in the Canadian Rockies. I would try to build a concoction of your own type of trail mix. A mix of nuts and seeds can usually be made easily and are good, and alkaline too. I order a bunch of the organic trail mix from nutsonline.com. Also.. check out some of their energy squares. DELICIOUS, and there are some good alkaline ones. Great for hiking and energy! I also eat some as part of my pre-workout meal. http://www.nutsonline.com/snacks/energy-squares/ .

Hope this helps for any future hikes.
armgud
Egg

Post by armgud » Sep 4th, 10:17

Thanks for your answer Mavy

I will try it next time ;)

Armann
giamegan
Egg

Re: Alkaline food on a long hike or trek

Post by giamegan » Nov 6th, 07:24

surely those are really great options to try from, as i would definitely try them also
jony147
Egg

Re: Alkaline food on a long hike or trek

Post by jony147 » Dec 13th, 19:25

What people usually do is take lots of sugary foods with them. Like sports drinks and candy. That can lead to heartburn's and other unpleasant problems.