Bringing lots of alkaline water on long hike

Training, advice, tips, guidance, experience and inspiration.
jdrower
Caterpillar

Post by jdrower » Sep 19th, 19:08

Hi
I will typically go on hikes where I need to drink 3-liters but don't want to carry them in plastic bottles. Glass is too dangerous.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
JD
tris
Butterfly

Post by tris » Sep 20th, 05:22

It sounds like polycarbonate bottles would be perfect for you. They are a food-grade plastic which does not leech like typical bottle plastic does. They are pretty expensive in themselves - but, if you treat them right, they can last thousands of uses, so in that respect they are not expensive at all.
It's your health, are you eating the best alkaline foods? Acid Alkaline Food Chart
jdrower
Caterpillar

Post by jdrower » Sep 20th, 15:33

Tris
Thanks for the response. I neglected to include that Nalgene, Lexan etc. bottles are unacceptable due to chromosomal aberrations as per the link at http://tinyurl.com/6ur36 .

I was hoping to find a non-plastic (or variation thereof) unbreakable container. I'm not sure any metallic ones are safe so wondered if anyone had a real-world solution.

Best in health
JD
smilingeyes
Egg

Water bottle suggestion

Post by smilingeyes » Sep 25th, 18:22

I'm using stainless steel water bottles and am loving them. They're light-weight and non-leeching. I've found no downside:

http://www.kleankanteen.com/
jdrower
Caterpillar

Post by jdrower » Sep 25th, 20:27

Thanks
I went to REI just yesterday and got 2 of the 20-oz sizes & used them today. Takes a little getting used to and I'd prefer the threads of the top be female instead of male but otherwise I'm happy too.
JD